Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Don't Call it a Comeback

Why is it that regardless of the training plan, coach, whatever I'm using - Tuesdays always equal  speed work? Let's just also say that Tuesdays and I don't really get along in general. Monday I can handle because you're all "it's a new week, anything is possible, I'm going to change the world!" then you wake up Tuesday morning and it's all nope, still the same, of and you still have four more days until the weekend! But I digress...

Today was my first real day back to "training" which means my life once again has some semblance of order, at least before 9am. I'm using Jason Fitzgerald's Injury Prevention for Runners plan, and am looking forward to cutting back my mileage a bit and putting more focus on improving my running from the bottom up. Let's just call it getting back to basics.
Who's not amused it's Tuesday!

Today's workout called for a quick warmup, 6 miles with 8x1' Fartleks at 10k pace, followed by some core work.
Here's how that goes:
(day before)
Psht, 6 miles that's not too bad
(night before - cut to me trying to do the math on how long the Fartleks and corresponding jogging rest will take)
hmmmm this is adding up, I'm going to go to bed at 9:30pm and get up at 4:30am and conquer life!
(9:30pm the night before)
crap
(4:30am)
zzzzzzzzzzz
(4:50am)
alright alright I'm up
(5:30 am)
Finally out the door - OMG this is perfect running weather, I feel great, this is awesome, best day ever!
(runs the 3 miles to get to the track)
Alright let's freaking do this
If you're must do Fartleks, do them with a killer view!

(Round 1)
I'm so fast
(Round 2)
starts sweating
(Round 3)
how many of these are there
(Round 4)
HALFWAY
(Round 5)
speed work is the devil
(Round 6)
you are so going to be late for work
(Round 7)
Tuesdays suck
(Round 8)
Boom...done...
now go run 3 miles home


Not only did I go home and do my core work (all like 10 minutes of it) I freaking showered, ate breakfast, put on makeup, and generally acted like a normal human being - which is impressive for me.

I then spent the rest of the day feeling entitled to a nap/being cranky, because hello I did speed work this morning, so no I do not feel like being productive, thank you.

Takeaway: Training again, complaining about training again, life is back to normal.

-stay caffeinated my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment