Monday, November 2, 2015

Let's Hear it for New York

Marathon Monday just isn't as fun when you didn't actually run a Marathon and have to go to work.

Running + Coffee = lifelong happiness
That being said, I took in as much of the NYC Marathon action that I could and am as equally tired today as I was post-Marine Corps last weekend. That's actually pretty sad. Anyways, I hit up the Expo at the Javits Center during lunch last week and was insanely jealous of all the crazy awesome 2015 gear (there was SO SO much), 2014 I am disappointed in you. I had some serious separation anxiety from this coffee mug and was really proud of myself for only trying one free sample. Who is this person, and where did the restraint come from?

Saturday morning, I actually dragged my non-Marathon running butt into Manhattan for a run with the Oiselle girls. They were shaking out their legs and race day jitters, I was shaking off the cobwebs from a week of "recovery" (my attempts at recovery are extremely feeble) and was just hoping that my feet would stay connected to my body. Mission accomplished. Central Park TURNED IT OUT and the weather was on its best behavior for the pre-race festivities.
When a shakeout run turns into a Oiselle Fall15 Fashion show!
I very rarely do group runs, so this was a really nice treat. It was so great to meet the girls who were running the race before hand so I knew who to look out for on Sunday. Of course, the park was practically electric with pre-marathon energy and while I was very glad NOT to be running, I was more than happy to join in all the excitement I feel like I missed out on last year since I was so flipping nervous about race day. Being a total nerd, I wore my 2014 Marathon shirt and therefore, spent half the day saying "thank you" to the nice people wishing me good luck. [I got tired of explaining that, no I wasn't running this year, but ran last year, and ran Marine Corps last weekend - because I desperately needed to validate my lack of participation to complete strangers - I ran last weekend I swear!] I made myself feel better by saying that I was dressed up as a 2015 Marathon runner for Halloween....

Halloween night was spent in a Sushi/Red Wine coma while I attempted to make signs for the Marathon, while really just trolling through Facebook looking at pictures of everyone's hilarious costumes and the most adorable children trick or treating - seriously good job this year guys, I was thoroughly entertained.
[Sidebar: do not make Running on Veggie's Homemade KIND Bars while drinking, you will eat half the tray and you will feel extremely ill the next day. You should totally make them sober though because they are AMAZING]

HAPPY MARATHON DAY - I was up bright and early finishing my signs and finally watching Quantico [how much do I want Priyanka Chopra's hair] and then it was off to get my spectator on, in head to toe matchy matchy 2014 Marathon gear [toolbag]. The Oiselle cowbell corner was stationed at 100th and 1st right around Mile 18.
Oiselle Cowbell Corner courtesy of  @ModelAyshaMirza
Not only did I get to hang with my fellow Volee ladies but, my cousin, fellow 2014 Marathoner, and love of my life was there to help cheer everyone on.
Yes, she was Chewbacca for Halloween.
And yes, I think I've convinced her to run Chicago with me in 2016.
McCrystals <3 NYC
We were able to see the Elite Women and Men bust through (looking like they were out for a stroll in the gd park) the majority of the Oiselle runners and stayed long enough to watch the masses pour up 1st Ave like a multicolored stampede. Let me just say, I have always declared my undying love for spectators because every single person makes a difference to me when I'm running. But after yesterday I have new found respect for them. My nose was running, my throat was sore, I have bloody knuckles from cowbelling and by the time I made it back to my parents house I was thoroughly spent, so EXTRA kudos to you race day spectators, that shit is no joke.

I've just been up to my ears in Marathon highs these past two weeks and am so damn happy and proud to be a runner. This year has been nasty in terms of the goals I was hoping to reach, and the whole having to take a month off of training/still not being 100%) but I am in such a better place mentally, that I'll take it and roll with it. While I still have my fair share of NYMarathon ptsd, it really never fails to inspire, and maybe one day I'll be back to run it in style. Until then I have to figure out which organs of mine can be sold on the black market so I can buy ALL the Oiselle and register for ALL of the races.

-Stay caffeinated my friends

PS
I leave you with this moving tribute to my 2014 New York City Marathon...


No comments:

Post a Comment